Monday, February 14, 2011

The Fish Market in Venice

                On our last morning in Venice we decided to go to the Rialto Market.  My mom had suggested it saying the fish market was really fun to see.  So we headed off from our hotel making it to the market around nine or so.  The market was completely alive from tourists taking pictures to the vendors and locals making selections to purchase. 
                We slowly weaved our way through the smelly market, noticing things such as squid, octopus, clams, monk fish even eel!  Everyone seemed to be at the market, my favorite “type” of shopper had to be the old couples.  They’d be moving around in their tweed and fur jackets hollering at the vendors to get service lugging their grocery pull carts behind them as they held hands and scooted from stand to stand finding the best selections.
Throughout our walk through the market we constantly kept stopping to watch the vendors precisely and perfectly fillet any fish that was handed to them.  For me, while watching them a face of disgust and amazement would appear on my face.  Disgust when they would yank out the guts or easily pull off a fish head and amazement at the precision and ease they would execute and decapitate each fish with.  Of course I wasn’t the only one to notice my facial reactions, eventually no matter which stand we were observing the vendors would see our faces and laugh at us (in a friendly manner of course).   And of course the vendor who noticed would tap all of his fellow workers and eventually all the vendors would be smiling and laughing at us.
The fish market was probably one of my favorite parts of our trip to Venice.  Is it weird that while surrounded by breathtaking buildings and picturesque scenery my favorite part was the smelly fish market?  I think I’m my mother’s daughter.



No comments:

Post a Comment