Thursday, March 3, 2011

Italian Motivation

               Now there are no gyms here, so now I’m really confused as to how these Italians are so dam skinny.  But I’ve been trying to start getting into the habit of running.
                I haven’t taken it up in the past because I am really bad at motivating myself to keep running when I get tired.  But it was a beautiful day here in Florence, 50 and sunny.  So I got ready, pulled out my running shoes, grabbed my iPod and headed toward the river. 
                I start at a nice slow jog, dodging the hoards of Asian tour groups and other visitors to Florence for the day.  I head toward the other side of the river (it’s usually less busy, it’s the more residential side).  Viva la Vida is on my iPod and this run is going great.  I find myself smiling as I glance over the river to see beautiful yellow and cream ancient buildings glistening from the reflection of the river.  Rowers cover the river trying to absorb the nice weather.  I can’t believe I’m actually here right now.
                But then I start getting tired, so I focus on my run more now.  But as I turn to look straight forward again I notice a gooood looking Italian running toward me, so obviously I keep up the pace I’m at.  “Just keep up this pace at least until you pass him,” I tell myself.  But after I pass him I notice another, and another and another…this routine of good looking Italians runners continues until I find myself out of breath finally stopping in front of my apartment a good 45 minutes later.
                Italy is the BEST place to work-out.  I’ve never been so motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment